A slip and fall accident can happen to anyone, anywhere. They are usually governed by premises liability laws and are common in nursing homes, workplaces, and public spaces. Slippery office or supermarket floors, unmarked holes, water tracking inside buildings, and ice, sleet, or snow that has not been removed from a sidewalk or public space can all lead to slip and fall accidents. A lack of safety equipment, torn carpeting, and poor lighting can also lead to a slip and fall accident.
Were you involved in a slip and fall accident? We can help. To pursue a personal injury case for slip and fall injuries, you must show that your accident was caused by the negligence or actions of someone who owed you a duty of care and that your accident led to physical, financial, or material losses on your part. Contact a slip and fall lawyer in Babylon with Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. to learn more. Call us today at (631) 451-7900 for assistance with your case.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall accidents lawyer serving Babylon, call 516-451-7900
Slip and Fall Accident Statistics
Slips or trips and falls are common in the healthcare, retail, and construction industries, but the elderly are disproportionately affected by slip, trip, and fall accidents. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), slip or trip and fall accidents involving elderly individuals are a leading cause of emergency room visits in the United States every year. Roughly three million older adults are treated in emergency rooms for slip and fall injuries every year, and the annual treatment costs of these injuries are estimated to be over $50 billion.
Slip and fall accident costs across all age groups are even higher, and medical expenses, missed work, insurance overheads, and legal proceedings for these accidents cost society hundreds of billions of dollars every year. The Department of Health and Human Services (DHS) provides useful guidance on preventing slip and fall accidents, but they still affect millions of people every year.
Babylon Slip and Fall Accidents Lawyer Near Me 516-451-7900
Common Causes for Slipping and Falling
Slip and fall accidents are common in nursing homes, public spaces, and workplaces such as offices and construction sites. They are also common in retail spaces and healthcare service institutions. Slipping or tripping and falling can be caused by:
- Torn carpeting
- Changes in floor traction
- Uneven flooring
- Cracked or damaged flooring
- Poor lighting
- Inadequate safety equipment such as railings or non-slip mats
- Narrow stairways
- Sleet, snow, ice, rain, or liquid spills–anything that can reduce traction
- A lack of training, especially with construction workers
- Poor servicing and/or maintenance of roads, walkways, or sidewalks
- Improper footwear for the job at hand
- Debris or clutter on the floor
Injuries commonly seen in slip and fall cases include:
- Head, brain, spinal cord, and neck damage
- Back and nerve damage
- Broken bones
- Muscle, tendon, and soft tissue damage
- Puncture wounds and impact trauma
- Total physical incapacitation
Slips, trips, and falls are some of the four leading causes of death in the construction industry, alongside electrocutions, being struck by an object, and becoming caught in or in-between objects. It is important to remember that slips or trips and falls can be fatal, and they do not only involve slipping or tripping and falling onto the floor. You can slip and fall down the stairs, to a lower level, or off an edge if you are not careful or if important safety measures are not in place.
We discuss these and similar issues in the next section, and you can always contact Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. at (631) 451-7900 for further guidance. Our slip and fall lawyer in Babylon is just a phone call away.
Fault and Liability for Slip and Fall Cases
You can establish fault and liability in a slip or trip and fall by determining whether or not someone owed you a duty of care but failed to fulfill that duty, leading to the accident.
For example, a business or property owner owes patrons, visitors, clients, employees, and other members of the public a duty of ensuring the property in question is safe and free of hazards and slip, trip and fall dangers. A failure to address dangerous conditions such as exposed wires, spilled liquids, damaged flooring, or any of the other causes of such accidents is tantamount to negligence and can lead to charges against the at-fault party responsible for the accident.
Workplace slip and fall cases are especially dangerous, which is why there are many federally mandated safety standards such as OSHA Standard Number 1926.501 that govern safe working conditions for construction workers. Some of the provisions of these rules include:
- Assessing whether a workplace has the right equipment and safety features required for workers to safely perform specific types of work.
- Covering unprotected sides and edges that are a certain distance above the ground with guardrails, safety nets, or fall arrest systems.
- Fall-proofing walkways such as ramps and runways and other places where slips or trips and falls can occur.
- Posting warning signs where a slip and fall or trip and fall hazard that has not yet been addressed exists.
To file a claim, you must be able to prove that the at-fault party knew of a dangerous on-premises slip and fall hazard and failed to address it and that a slip and fall occurred, leading to injuries and/or damages to a victim. The at-fault party can be a business owner or operator, a maintenance team, or even a city or town that knew–or should have known–of slip and fall hazards on roads, sidewalks, or other public places within its jurisdiction but failed to maintain or repair them.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact the Office of a Slip and Fall Attorney For Help Today
If you suffered injuries in a slip and fall or trip and fall accident, you have the right to hold the at-fault party responsible for the accident, treating your injuries and covering your losses such as lost income. Contact Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (631) 451-7900. Our slip and fall lawyer in Babylon can help:
- Determine the cause of your accident.
- Identify the relevant at-fault party for your case.
- Evaluate your losses and damages.
- Submit a letter of intent to sue to the at-fault party’s insurer.
- Obtain the testimony of a medical professional to support your case.
- Complete and submit a claim for damages, if your case warrants one.
- Negotiate with the at-fault party for a settlement.
- Take your case to trial if a fair settlement cannot be reached.
We provide services in Spanish as well and our experienced staff and attorneys handle our clients with empathy and compassion. Statutes of limitations apply to personal injury cases such as slip and fall or trip and fall accidents, so do not hesitate to contact us today.