Millions of individuals slip or trip and fall every year. Personal injury claims involving slips, trips and falls usually involve some form of premises liability. Depending on where and how your fall occurred, you may be able to hold a maintenance team, a business owner, a property owner, or a government office liable for the actions—or inactions—that caused your slip or trip and fall.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that almost 800,000 individuals are hospitalized on an annual basis for injuries from falls. If you sustained injuries in a slip and fall or a trip and fall, a lawyer in Brookhaven with Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. experienced in handling these cases may be able to pursue compensation for your damages on your behalf.
Call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (631) 451-7900 for a free consultation on your case and the next steps possible with a member of our team.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Brookhaven, call 631-203-1691
Causes of Slips and Falls
Slip or trip and fall personal injury cases involve an investigation into how a fall occurred, who was responsible for it, and what factors caused, contributed to, or aggravated the incident. Based on the available evidence, you may then be able to pursue a claim against at-fault parties who should have removed slip and fall hazards or performed other actions to keep guests, visitors, employees, and the general public safe on their premises.
Common causes of slip and falls or trip and falls are as follows:
- Slippery surfaces and liquid spills
- Clutter and objects on walkways
- Uneven, damaged, or poorly maintained surfaces
- Missing signage or safety equipment
- Poor lighting
- Changes in floor traction
Slips, trips, and falls—and the hazards that cause them—can be found almost everywhere, including:
- Places of business
- Construction sites
- Parking lots and public sidewalks
- Recreational sites
- Private homes
- Nursing homes
- Sports arenas
If you were harmed in a slip and fall in Brookhaven, call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (631) 451-7900. A representative of our firm is standing by to discuss your case in a free, no-obligation consultation.
Brookhaven Slip And Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 631-203-1691
Establishing Liability for a Slip and Fall
Personal injury liability for a slip or trip and fall is usually based on the negligence of someone who owed a victim a duty of safe environs where a fall occurred. Generally speaking, you may have grounds for a slip and fall claim if:
- The owner or possessor of the property where your slip or trip and fall occurred knew about hazards on said property, should have known about dangerous conditions on their property or created dangerous conditions on their property.
- They did not address the hazards or dangerous conditions on their property.
- You slipped and fell or tripped and fell on their property because of those hazards or dangerous conditions.
- You suffered losses of some sort—physical, financial, or otherwise—because of your fall.
This is known as the duty of care. In most cases, guests to a premises are owed a basic level of safety on that property. If the owner or possessor of a property fails to provide this safety but was responsible for doing so, then they may be held liable for failing to meet the duty of care.
Depending on where and how your slip and fall or trip and fall occurred, there may be many different parties you can sue for damages. Consider the following:
- If you slipped and fell on a freshly mopped floor that was not marked with caution signs, a service team, the property owner, or a third-party vendor may be liable for damages.
- A private property owner may be liable for slip or trip and falls that occur on their premises, including their yard and driveway.
- The owner or operator of a recreational site such as a park or a vacation spot may be liable for slip and falls suffered by guests on those properties.
For each of the above cases, you may first need to identify liable parties and then evaluate your damages in order to file a claim for compensation. An added layer of complexity is proving that a hazard existed for long enough that the party responsible should have addressed it but did not.
A slip and fall lawyer in Brookhaven from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can assist you with this process when we represent you.
Injuries from Slips and Falls
Slips and falls can lead to a wide range of injuries, including:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord damage
- Broken or fractured bones
- Sprains and strains
- Nerve damage
- Ligament damage
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Wrongful death
Make sure you receive prompt medical treatment after your slip and fall. This can create a link in your medical record between the incident and your injuries that may be used as evidence in your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. Is Here to Help
A slip and fall lawyer in Brookhaven with Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can assist you with many things when working together on your case. Based on the specifics of your slip and fall, some of the services we can provide include:
- Identifying the at-fault parties responsible for your fall
- Collecting evidence to prove fault.
- Quantifying your damages and losses
- Helping you understand the legal and insurance issues that relate to your case
- Negotiating with the at-fault party and their insurance agent on your behalf
- Taking your case to trial, if necessary
Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. typically handles slip and fall and trip and fall cases on a contingency-fee-basis with no advanced payments necessary.
For a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (631) 451-7900. We provide services in Spanish as well.