Pedestrians struck in car collisions can endure some of the worst of injuries. If you were one such victim in Islip, New York, you can pursue compensation for your injuries and losses.
A pedestrian accident lawyer in Islip with Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can assist you with building a claim and representing you through the entire claims process and can take your case to trial if necessary. We offer new clients a free case evaluation. We can review your incident and let you know your legal options moving forward. If you have a case, we can work with you, and we will work on a contingency-fee-basis. You will pay no attorney’s fees upfront. We only collect payment if and when we make a recovery either through a negotiated settlement or trial.
Call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (631) 451-7900. A member of our team can answer your questions in a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Islip, call 516-451-7900
The Injuries Suffered in Pedestrian Collisions
Without the protection of a car around them, victims of pedestrian collisions can suffer devastating injuries that can leave them with life-altering changes. The results can even be deadly. The amount of energy that a car can transfer into the human body, even at slower speeds, can leave a victim debilitated for months to years. Recovery may never be fully possible, leaving victims permanently disabled.
Victims of collisions may experience:
- Mental disabilities due to traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Paraplegia, or worse, from spinal cord injuries
- Neck and back injuries that cause mobility issues and constant pain
- Crushed bones that require amputation
- Significant fractures
- Joint injuries that affect mobility
- Physical disfigurement due to severe lacerations and burns
- Lost bodily functions
- Emotional injuries that affect everyday life
Islip Pedestrian Accidents Lawyer Near Me 516-451-7900
How Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. Can Help
There are a number of ways we can help you with your claim while you heal from your injuries. We can:
- Investigate your collision, gathering evidence, medical documents, police reports, photos, and videos
- Speak with eyewitnesses and consult with experts
- Identify the liable parties
- Calculate your losses
- Handle all communication between you, the insurance companies, and the at-fault driver.
- Represent you in negotiations and at trial
Proving Negligence in a Pedestrian Collision Case
To build your case for compensation, we must prove negligence. Negligence is typically broken down into four stages. For example:
- Duty of care: as a pedestrian, you expect other pedestrians, bicyclists, and drivers to follow the rules of the road. They owe you, and vice versa, a responsibility to behave in a manner that maintains a safe environment for all.
- Breach of duty: when a driver fails to maintain safe practices, they have broken their duty to the injured victim. For example, if the driver was distracted and made a right-hand turn while you had the right of way in the crosswalk, he or she broke a duty of care to you.
- Causation: once the driver breaches the duty of care, there is the possibility of a collision occurring. Continuing our example, when the distracted driver makes the right-hand turn while you are in the crosswalk and strikes you, they cause a collision due to their poor decision.
- Damages: finally, there are losses suffered due to the collision. When the driver hit you, you suffered injuries that required medical attention and time away from work.
A pedestrian accident lawyer in Islip from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. may be able to help you pursue compensation for your losses. For a free case review with a member of our team, call us today at (631) 451-7900.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Damages You May Recover
No matter the severity of your injuries, if another person’s negligence caused your injuries, you may deserve to recover compensation for them. Your lawyer can help you determine all your damages, which may include:
- Wages and benefits for time away from work
- Any lost earnings potential
- Current medical bills and future health care
- Reduced quality of life
- Stress and anxiety due to the collision
- Permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- And more
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence of another, you can pursue a wrongful death claim, per New York Estates, Powers & Trusts § 5-4.1. Damages in a wrongful death claim may include:
- Burial and funeral costs
- Medical costs prior to death
- Loss of wages or income
- And more
How New York’s Statute of Limitations May Affect Your Case
Under New York Civil Practice Law & Rules § 214, you generally have three years to file a lawsuit to pursue compensation through a trial. In addition, certain exceptions could shorten the deadline, such as filing a lawsuit against a municipality or bringing a wrongful death claim
Our goal will be to recover compensation for you. If possible, we will negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance companies, but if that fails, we want to retain the option of taking the at-fault party to trial. If you wait too long and let the statute of limitations expire in your case, you will be precluded from pursuing recovery for the damages you have suffered.
You Can Still Collect Compensation if You Were Partially At Fault
However your pedestrian collision occurred, do not be discouraged if you feel you might be partially at fault. New York allows victims to collect compensation even if they contributed to their own incident, per New York Civil Practice Law & Rules § 1411.
The result is your compensation may be reduced by the portion of responsibility you share for the collision. Therefore, if you are 20% at fault for your collision injuries, and the award is $10,000, you may receive $8,000.
Call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. Today for a Free Case Consultation
A pedestrian accident lawyer in Islip with Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can help you pursue compensation for your collision injuries. Allow us to work on your behalf, so you may have the time to heal.
Call us at (631) 451-7900 today for a free case evaluation with a representative of our firm. Our staff can also answer your questions in Spanish if needed.