Millions of people aged 65 and older succumb to slip and fall accidents every year in the United States according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Slip and fall accidents are the leading cause of death for the elderly and the total costs of elderly slips and fall cases were $50 billion in 2015. About 20 percent of falls lead to serious head or bone injuries including 95 percent of all hip fractures.
There are many factors that may contribute to a slip and fall accident. Among them are poor vision, lower body weakness, inappropriate footwear, and vitamin deficiencies.
However, some slip and fall accidents are caused by the negligence or recklessness of others, such as cases involving property hazards, unsafe work conditions, or poor servicing and maintenance. If you suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident because of the actions or inaction of another party in Islip, New York, you may be entitled to compensation through a personal injury claim. A slip and fall lawyer in Islip can help with your case. Call the team from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. at (631) 451-7900 for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Islip, call 631-203-1691
Causes and Injuries
Slip and fall accidents are often preventable, yet they lead to over 800,000 hospitalizations a year in the United States according to the CDC. They disproportionately affect the elderly and are common in nursing and assisted living centers. However, they can occur anywhere, such as homes, commercial areas, construction sites, factories, parks, playgrounds, schools, sidewalks, driveways, and recreational areas.
Anything that reduces traction, causes unexpected changes in traction, or prevents someone from walking safely can lead to a slip and fall accident. Some examples include:
- A slippery hospital or office floor
- A pool of liquid or an unmarked hole on a construction site
- Potholes and damaged roads
- Uneven flooring or sidewalks or unstable surfaces
- Tracked water, snow, or ice in a building
- Freshly mopped floors that are not marked with a slip hazard sign
- Torn carpeting or mats that do not have a slip-resistant base
- Poor lighting or missing handrails in an office stairwell
- Workplace hazards or cluttered floors
- Unsecured ladders and scaffolding
According to the National Safety Council (NSC), there were hundreds of thousands of falling accidents from heights and on the same level in 2016, happening in industries such as government, retail, healthcare, construction, manufacturing, transportation, and education. A slip and fall accident can lead to a wide range of serious injuries, including:
- Brain, head, spine, back, and neck injuries
- Nerve, muscle, and bone damage
- Internal organ damage
- Broken hips, strains, and sprains
- Body punctures if the victim falls on a sharp object
- Death or serious incapacitation, especially if a slip causes a fall from a height
Depending on how your slip and fall accident occurred, you may be entitled to compensation from the at-fault party for your injuries. For more information about slip and fall accidents, or to receive a free consultation regarding your case, call the team from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. at (631) 451-7900.
Islip Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 631-203-1691
Slip and Fall Victims and Liability
While a majority of slip and fall victims are aged 65 and up, anyone may be susceptible to injuries. Anyone working in an unsafe workplace or crossing a poorly maintained hazardous public space could slip and fall.
Liability in personal injury cases is typically determined by what is known as the duty of care. If a property owner, a host, or a public services department owed you a duty of care to provide you with a safe environment but did not do so which led to injuries as a result, the at-fault party could be held liable.
Proving the negligence of an at-fault party and establishing that they may be liable for your slip and fall accident can involve proving:
- That identifiable hazards which could have been addressed or removed from the property were not removed, addressed, or fixed, and this led to an accident.
- That the property owner knew or should have known about the hazard that caused the accident, but was negligent in not addressing the issue.
- That the accident you were involved in caused by the negligence of others resulted in injuries or damages.
Depending on where and how your accident occurred, as well as the extent of your injuries, you may be entitled to seek compensation for various injuries, damages, and expenses, including:
- Pain, suffering, mental anguish, and emotional trauma
- Medical treatment, rehabilitation, therapy, and surgery
- Lost income or lost earning capacity
- Medication, testing, and transportation for doctors’ visits
A slip and fall lawyer in Islip can help you determine which of your injury-related expenses may be compensable based on the circumstances of your case.
How Our Team Can Help
A slip and fall lawyer in Islip can help you with the following:
- Identifying the factors that caused or contributed to your accident.
- Identifying the at-fault parties responsible for the slip and fall hazard that caused your accident.
- Obtaining photo or video proof of the accident.
- Investigating maintenance or service logs to prove negligence.
- Quantifying the value of your compensable damages or losses.
- Helping you understand the various medical, legal, and insurance laws that pertain to your case.
- Filing a claim for your damages and fulfilling all legal steps within the statute of limitations, which is generally three years for personal injury cases in the state of New York.
- Negotiating a settlement of your claim with insurance carriers for the at-fault party or parties in your case.
The team from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can assist you with your slip and fall accident claim. We understand how difficult it can be to handle the challenges of filing a personal injury lawsuit while recovering from your injuries. Call us at (631) 451-7900 for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. Our team can also provide services in Spanish.