If your loved one died in a collision or other incident caused by someone else’s careless actions, you may be able to bring a wrongful death lawsuit against them. Doing so may allow you to hold the liable party accountable for your loved one’s death and recover financial compensation for your damages.
A Riverhead wrongful death lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. could help you file a wrongful death lawsuit and seek compensation for your damages. Call (631) 451-7900 today for a free case assessment.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Riverhead, call 631-203-1691
Incidents That May Result in a Wrongful Death
According to New York law, a successful wrongful death lawsuit is possible when:
- A death is caused by negligent or wrongful conduct.
- The victim would have been able to bring a legal action for damages had they survived their injuries.
- The victim’s surviving loved ones suffered damages because of the death.
Wrongful death cases are often brought in response to accidents that could have been prevented if not for the liable party’s reckless actions. However, a wrongful death lawsuit may also be brought in response to a death caused by intentional harm. Incidents that may warrant wrongful death damages include:
- Car accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicyclist accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective automotive products
- Dangerous drugs
- Nursing home abuse
- Dog bites
- Slip and fall accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Negligent security
- Physical attacks
In New York, a deceased person’s spouse, children, or parents may bring a wrongful death lawsuit. The suit may also be brought by a personal representative of the deceased person’s estate.
Riverhead Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 631-203-1691
Monetary Compensation for Damages May Be Available
At Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P., we understand no amount of money could atone for your loved one’s death. However, financial compensation may be able to relieve some of the financial stress resulting from the death. The value of a wrongful death settlement can vary significantly from case to case. It may be affected by many different factors, including:
- The types of damages suffered by surviving family
- The victim’s employment, earning capacity, and assets
- The victim’s age and health
- Whether the victim had children or was married
Through a wrongful death lawsuit, you may be compensated for damages, including:
- The costs associated with your loved one’s medical care between their final injury and their death
- Expenses incurred by your loved one’s funeral and burial
- The loss of your loved one’s financial support
- Damages suffered by children, including lost inheritance and lost parental nurturing
- Your loved one’s pain and suffering
How a Riverhead Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help You
A Riverhead wrongful death lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can guide you through the process of claiming wrongful death damages from beginning to end. Our team knows that you and your family are in the midst of grieving a tragic loss. Let us handle the case on your behalf to minimize the burden as much as possible. When you choose us to take on your case, we can:
- Explain your rights and legal options in a way that you understand
- Identify all parties who are legally responsible for your loved one’s death
- Gather police reports, financial information, medical records, and other evidence needed to build the strongest case possible
- Subpoena relevant documents, such as incident reports, surveillance camera footage, and vehicle “black box” data
- Interview eyewitnesses to the accident and use their testimony to strengthen your case
- Work with accident reconstructionists, medical professionals, and other experts to support our theory of what happened and the impact of your damages
- Calculate the value of the damages you have sustained
- Complete important paperwork and handle communications with the liable party, their legal team, and other relevant parties
- Manage settlement negotiations with the liable party
- Keep you informed about changes and updates to your case
- Help you make educated decisions about legal options and settlement offers
- Take your case to trial and represent you at trial if no settlement is possible
- Ensure that your rights are not violated
Call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. at (631) 451-7900 today and receive a free, no-obligation case assessment with our team.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Statute of Limitations for Wrongful Death
If you are thinking about filing a wrongful death lawsuit, you should know that your case will be subject to certain time constraints and deadlines. These deadlines vary from state to state. In New York, the typical statute of limitations for wrongful death is two years, per NY EPT § 5-4.1.
This means that you must file within two years of your loved one’s death, or a judge can dismiss your case, preventing you from collecting damages. However, there are exceptions to this general rule that can significantly shorten the time period. A wrongful death lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can explain the deadlines and time restrictions that apply to your case based on your unique situation.
Get Your Free Case Assessment Today
No one should have to suffer the death of a loved one because of another party’s recklessness or wrongdoing. If your loved one was killed in an accident and you would like to learn more about filing a wrongful death lawsuit, contact Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P.
A Riverhead wrongful death lawyer from our firm can help you understand whether your loved one’s death may be considered a “wrongful death” according to New York law. If you do have a valid wrongful death case, we can help you fight for the compensation you and your family deserve.
Call our office at (631) 451-7900 today for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. is able to assist clients in Spanish.