If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident, you might be entitled to financial compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Falling can result in severe injuries, including head and neck injuries, back injuries, broken bones, and more. If you or a loved one were hurt in a slip and fall accident caused by another party’s negligence, you might be entitled to compensation. Contact a Uniondale slip and fall lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP to discuss your legal options. Call our office today at (631) 451-7900 and schedule a free, confidential consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Uniondale, call 631-203-1691
Fall Accidents Can Result in Serious Injuries
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately one out of every five falls results in serious injuries. These injuries can leave a person in severe pain for weeks, months, or longer. Some of the most common injuries from slip and fall accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries: The CDC reports that falling is the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI). Injuries to the brain can result in headaches, confusion, blurred vision, dizziness, trouble concentrating, memory problems, and impaired cognition.
- Broken bones: Falling, especially falling onto a hard surface, can result in fractures and broken bones. Hip fractures are incredibly common in fall accident victims. Not only are broken bones painful, but broken bones may also require significant medical care, including surgical treatment.
- Neck and spine injuries: Injuries to the neck and spine can have a profound impact on a person’s mobility. If you have suffered a severe neck or spine injury, you may be unable to work, perform everyday tasks, or even care for your children.
- Soft tissue injuries: Injuries to soft tissue do not show up on an x-ray and are sometimes harder to prove in an injury claim. A slip and fall accident lawyer in Uniondale can help you gather evidence to support your claim.
- Injuries to the knees, shoulders, wrists, and elbows: Sprains and dislocations are common in fall accidents. If you instinctively tried to break your fall with your hands or knees, the impact may have caused severe damage to your knees, wrists, shoulders, or elbows.
Uniondale Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me 631-203-1691
Damages in a Slip and Fall Accident Claim
Not only are fall accidents painful, but falls can also cause considerable financial stress. Through an injury claim, you may be able to recover compensation for the damages, or costs, caused by your injuries. You may be entitled to compensation for your:
- Medical expenses including ambulance transportation, emergency room care, hospital care, x-rays and other diagnostic tests, surgery, and more
- Ongoing and future medical expenses including costs related to prescription pain medication or rehabilitative care such as physical therapy
- Lost wages from the time you spent off of work
- Impairment to your income-earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Physical impairment caused by the fall
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Call Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP at (631) 451-7900 today and schedule a free case evaluation to learn more.
Liability for Fall Accidents
According to the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), in New York, property owners or those in control of a property have a legal duty to maintain reasonably safe premises for people lawfully visiting the property. The owner or party in control of a store, mall, restaurant, bar, apartment complex, parking lot, or another type of property may be liable for any injuries caused by their failure to keep the property reasonably safe.
Many slip or trip and fall accident claims center on the allegation that a defective condition on the property caused the fall injuries. Defective conditions that may lead to a slip and fall accident include:
- Snow and ice-covered walkways
- Broken concrete on sidewalks
- Uneven pavement on parking lots
- Spilled liquids
- Obstacles in walkways such as electrical cords or clutter
- Loose carpet or rugs
- Broken staircases
- Missing or loose handrails
- Inadequate lighting
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
A Uniondale Slip and Fall Lawyer Can Help
If you or a loved one suffered a preventable fall, you might be interested in bringing a legal claim for damages but are unsure of what this process entails. Let a Uniondale slip and fall accident lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP handle your slip and fall accident claim on your behalf so that you can focus on healing from your injuries. Our team can:
- Determine the liable party: Identifying the legally responsible party for a slip and fall accident is not always easy. The liable party may be the property owner, the party responsible for maintaining the property, or liability may fall to more than one party.
- Gather evidence that shows the liable party’s negligence: Proving that the defendant acted negligently is a crucial component of a successful slip and fall accident claim. Our team may use maintenance records, photographs, footage from security cameras, and many other types of evidence to support your claim.
- Identify and value your damages: We can help you identify and quantify the past, present, and future costs of your injury and ensure that these costs are included in your injury claim.
- Negotiate with the insurance company or other liable parties: Often, a slip and fall accident claim is brought against the responsible party’s insurer. We can negotiate with the insurance company and fight for a settlement that includes all applicable damages.
- Handle all of the legal paperwork: As with most legal actions, slip and fall accidents involve a great deal of paperwork. We can ensure that any paperwork is completed accurately and within the appropriate time constraints.
- Represent you during a personal injury lawsuit: If a settlement cannot be reached, we can file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf and represent you during a trial.
Contact Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP for Help Today
The time period during which someone may bring a legal claim is called the “statute of limitations.” Generally, under New York Civil Practice Laws & Rules (CVP) §214, there is a three-year statute of limitations for slip and fall injury claims in New York. Further, wrongful death actions must be brought within two years.
However, some exceptions may shorten the statute of limitations. For example, if you are suing a municipality such as a county, city, or town, you must file a notice of claim within ninety days of the accident. Additionally, according to New York General Municipal (GMU) §50, you only have one year and ninety days to file the actual injury claim. If you or a loved one were hurt in a slip and fall or trip and fall accident, contact a Uniondale slip and fall accident lawyer right away. Call Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP at (631) 451-7900 and schedule a free case evaluation. We can also assist clients in Spanish.