Author: Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP
All motor vehicle accidents have the potential of causing fatal injuries. However, motorcycle accidents are among the worst. For motorcyclists, the roads are dangerous—other drivers don’t see you, they make left turns in front of you and often violate your right of way. All of which can result in serious or even fatal injuries. The most common injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents include:
• Bone fractures and breaks
• Brain and head injuries
• Spinal cord injuries
Motorcycle stats and safety measures in New York
In 2011, there were 5,336 motorcycle accidents in New York state. The Department of Motor Vehicles reported that 162 motorcycle drivers and six motorcycle passengers were killed in those accidents and 5,180 were injured. If you operate a motorcycle in New York, it is important to exercise safe riding habits including:
- Traveling at comfortable speeds that are relative to the roadway and traffic conditions
- Adjust your speed to weather and road conditions accordingly
- Resist the urge to exceed the speed limit
- Give yourself plenty of space between yourself and other drivers
- Do not drink and operate a motorcycle
- Do not operate your motorcycle if you are tired or on medications
- Always wear a helmet and insist your passengers wear a helmet
The road to motorcycle accidents
A study conducted by the University of Southern California found that in multiple vehicle accidents, one of the major causes for motorcycle accidents was the violation of the motorcycle right-of-way. The study also found that:
- The failure of motorists to see motorcycles in traffic is a major cause of motorcycle accidents.
- The most frequent cause of motorcycle accidents is an automobile making a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.
- Motorcycle accidents are mostly likely to take place at intersections where the other vehicle violates the motorcycle right-of-way.
Talk to an attorney who knows motorcycle accidents
At Rosenberg & Gluck, we know motorcycle accidents. Michael Gluck has been a motorcycle enthusiast for over 30 years and he understands the dangers and pitfalls of motorcycle accidents. We understand not just the litigation process but how motorcycle accidents occur and how best to prosecute them. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact us online or call (631) 451-7900 to schedule a free consultation.