Personal injury cases cover a wide range of incidents where one party’s negligence harms an innocent victim. These cases can include injuries from car crashes, slips and falls, trip and falls, poisoning, medical malpractice, defective products, and other scenarios.
Depending on how your injuries occurred, you may be able to seek compensation for damages caused by the negligence of an at-fault party. The legal team at Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. may be able to help you. A personal injury lawyer in Brookhaven from our firm can determine fault for your injuries, gather evidence in support of your claim, and file a claim for the damages you have suffered.
Call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (631) 451-7900 to discuss your case for free with a member of our team.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Brookhaven, call 516-451-7900
The Incidence and Severity of Personal Injuries
Personal injuries affect people of all ages and backgrounds, but some groups may be more at risk for injuries of specific types than others. For example, someone who spends a lot of time driving is more likely to be involved in a car crash than someone who does not own a car. However, many personal injury cases derive from everyday occurrences, such as product use, motor vehicle operation, or a doctor’s appointment.
Any time another party’s negligence causes your injuries, the responsible party may be liable to you in a personal injury lawsuit. Common scenarios that trigger this type of civil action include:
- Motor vehicle collisions: car crashes can cause injury to the brain, back, and neck, and spinal cord injuries. Broken bones, fractures, sprains, whiplash, and amputations may also be caused by a collision. Negligent drivers who break traffic laws can easily cause a crash with significant personal injuries.
- Nursing home injuries: slips and falls, medical negligence, abuse, prescription errors, bedsores, muscle atrophy, and malnutrition are common causes of injuries and death in nursing homes. Nursing home abuse can also be included here.
- Slip or Trip and fall: poor signage, slippery surfaces, and damaged roadways or sidewalks can cause slip or trip and fall injuries.
- Product liability: when a defective product enters the marketplace and harms a customer, such as a defective automobile tire or child’s toy.
- Medical malpractice: when a negligent doctor’s care falls below a reasonable medical standard and harms a patient.
These are not the only types of incidents that may entitle victims to personal injury compensation. If another party’s negligence harmed you, call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (631) 451-7900 to discuss your case for free with a member of our team.
Brookhaven Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 516-451-7900
Establishing Fault in Personal Injury Cases
Depending on how your injuries occurred and who was responsible, you may have to seek compensation from a number of parties for your losses. Consider the following:
- You were involved in a collision with a drowsy trucker who was overworked, did not conduct safety checks before hitting the road, or did not properly secure his or her load.
- You suffered personal injuries at the hands of a doctor or another medical caregiver who did not have the training or expertise to treat you.
- A drunk driver hit you.
- Because of someone’s negligence on a construction site, an object fell from a height and struck you.
- A nursing home did not care for your elderly loved one or did not hire the right staff to care for the residents of the home.
- You tripped and fell over an uneven walkway at a home you were visiting.
For each scenario above, there may be multiple parties who were at fault for causing your injuries. These parties include:
- Vehicle drivers or vehicle owners
- Business entities such as a truck company or a commercial firm
- Maintenance teams responsible for vehicle servicing or road safety and road repairs
- A doctor, nurse, or hospital administrator
- A nursing home owner or nursing home staff
- A property or business owner
For each of the cases listed above, there are specific burdens of proof that must be met if you are to seek compensation for the party you deem to be at fault for your injuries. A personal injury lawyer in Brookhaven from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can assist you in identifying the parties involved in your personal injury case.
We can also help with evaluating the extent of your injuries and damages and collecting evidence to support your claim. This may include expert testimony when required, such as from a medical professional in a medical malpractice case.
A Legal Deadline on Personal Injury Lawsuits
New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CVP) §214 imposes a general three-year statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits in New York. However, there could be circumstances that alter this deadline or require you to act sooner.
One such circumstance is when the party liable for your injuries is a government agency or municipality. In New York, victims may have to notify the government agency responsible for their injuries in just 90 days. Medical malpractice claims also carry a shorter statute of limitations, as do wrongful death actions.
Failure to comply with the deadlines in your case could mean your lawsuit is dismissed.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. Is Here to Help
If you were harmed by another party’s negligence, a personal injury lawyer in Brookhaven from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. may be able to help you. While you focus on your recovery, we can handle the deadlines, communications, and legal work in your case. We can negotiate with the responsible party’s insurance company for a settlement offer and take your case to trial if necessary.
A representative of Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can be reached at (631) 451-7900. Regardless of how your injuries were sustained, we can help evaluate your case in a free, no-obligation consultation. If your situation warrants a claim, we can represent you on a contingency-fee-basis.
We handle a wide range of personal injury cases and provide services in Spanish as well. Call us today.