How Much Is My Car Accident Settlement Worth In New York?
It is impossible to fully estimate what a car collision settlement is worth in New York. The settlement awarded will depend on many factors, such as the severity of the incident and the extent of your injuries. A dedicated lawyer can help you identify all of your damages and build a case to establish the total value of your claim. They could then help you pursue damages to the fullest extent of your injuries.
Types of Damages You May Recover in a Car Collision Settlement in New York
If you have been injured in a car collision in New York because of someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. While the types of compensation you can recover vary according to the details of your case, here are a few of the most common:
- Medical expenses: this could include any medical costs related to your injuries, including ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgeries, doctor’s consultations, medications, physical therapy and rehabilitation, and medical equipment. Serious injuries can even require long-term care and future medical expenses.
- Disfigurement: if you have been left permanently disfigured, you may be entitled to damages for the emotional and mental pain the disfigurement caused.
- Loss of wages or employment: if you had to take time off work because of your incident, you may be entitled to compensation for the money you would have earned or any advancements you missed as a result of your absence. Past, as well as future, lost wages will be considered.
- Loss of consortium: if the injuries from your incident have impacted your marriage, you can recover damages related to the loss of affection.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: if you are unable to go about your normal daily routine and enjoy life in the same way, you may be able to recover compensation for a loss of enjoyment of life.
- Pain and suffering: the amount of compensation for pain and suffering will depend on the extent of your injuries and how much your life has been altered.
Factors That Could Impact Your Claim
If someone else was at fault for your car crash, there are some factors that will impact how much your car collision settlement is worth in New York.
- The severity of injuries: this will have a significant impact on the value of your claim. Car collisions cause serious injuries to the neck, back, head, knees, and other parts of the body.
- Length of recovery: the amount of time to recover from your injuries—and whether they are permanent—will have an impact on the compensation you can recover.
- Extent of Economic damages: the amount of time you miss from work or whether you are able to return to work will also impact the amount of compensation you can recover.
How New York’s Comparative Negligence Rules Can Impact Your Claim
If you are involved in a car crash, one of the more common arguments that the at-fault party’s attorney might make is that you were at least partially responsible for the incident. Do not let this dissuade you from pursuing the damages you deserve or wondering how much your injury settlement is worth in New York.
New York is a comparative negligence state. That means even if you are found partly responsible for an incident, you can still recover damages. They would just be reduced based on your level of responsibility.
For example, if you were found to be 25% responsible for causing an incident, you could still recover 75% of the damages.
How a Lawyer Can Help Your Car Collision Claim
A lawyer can help your claim by identifying all of the possible damages that you can recover and building a case to establish the total value of the compensation so that you know how much your car crash settlement is worth in New York. It’s also important to note that you do have a limited time to seek compensation due to the state’s legislation
In addition to helping you seek compensation, a lawyer can help you to:
- Investigate the incident and gather evidence supporting your claim
- Establish liability
- Negotiate with attorneys on your behalf to reach an agreeable settlement
- Fight for your rights in a trial if a settlement cannot be reached
If you have been injured in a car collision in New York, contact the team at Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. We offer a free consultation, and a member of our team is happy to review your case with you to explore options and identify the potential damages you could recover. We can also assist clients in Spanish and Russian. Call us today at (631) 451-7900.