When property owners, drivers, healthcare providers, product manufacturers, and others are negligent, they can cause accidents that leave others severely injured and in pain. In some accidents, victims suffer permanent injuries that cause them problems for the remainder of their lives. If you sustained injuries due to another person’s negligence, you deserve to recover compensation for everything you have endured.
That’s where an experienced personal injury legal team can help. The Patchogue personal injury lawyers at Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP, can help you throughout your entire personal injury case. Unlike other lawyers and law firms with many practice areas, our attorneys only practice personal injury law. Consequently, we only represent accident victims who suffer injuries due to someone else’s negligence. We don’t represent big insurance companies or their interests.
Our legal team also has a track record of success litigating cases in the Long Island Court System. Our most recent achievements include a $2.5 million settlement for a severely injured 16-year-old child involved in a multi-vehicle crash and a $2,390,000 jury verdict in another motor vehicle accident case.
Our legal team does not limit its representation to car accidents. We also represent victims of medical malpractice, birth injuries, slips, falls, and other serious accidents. We work hard to ensure that our clients recover the total and fair amount of compensation they deserve due to someone else’s negligence.
If the insurance company refuses to compensate you reasonably for your injuries, we welcome the opportunity to file a lawsuit, litigate your case in court, and take your case to a jury trial or alternative dispute resolution proceeding, such as binding arbitration, if necessary.
For a free case evaluation and legal consultation with an experienced Patchogue personal injury attorney, please call us to learn more.
Table of Contents
- What Accidents Result from Others’ Negligence?
- Seeking Prompt Medical Care for Your Injuries
- How Do I Recover Damages in My Personal Injury Case?
- What Damages Can I Recover in My Personal Injury Case?
- Contact a Patchogue Personal Injury Lawyer Today
What Accidents Result from Others’ Negligence?
When individuals and entities are negligent, innocent people can permanently suffer serious injuries that change their lives. The experienced Patchogue personal injury attorneys at Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP handle various injury claims. Our skilled team can guide you through every step of the process and pursue the compensation you deserve.
We represent individuals in:
- Defective product cases – Product manufacturers must exercise reasonable measures when designing and testing their products. Specifically, they must safely design their products and refrain from taking shortcuts throughout the process. They must also test their products before making them available to the public for consumption and purchase. If a product malfunctions or explodes and injures a consumer who uses it correctly, they can pursue a product defect claim against the manufacturer or other entity in the product distribution chain.
- Slip and fall accidents – Premises owners must properly warn about or correct known dangerous conditions on their premises. In addition, if they own a business property, they must inspect their premises regularly for unknown dangerous conditions. If they become aware of a hazard, they must take the necessary remedial action. If they don’t, and a patron slips and falls on the premises, then the property owner can be responsible.
- Car crashes – Motor vehicle accidents typically happen when drivers are negligent. They might be speeding, not paying attention to the road, or operating their vehicle while intoxicated. At other times, drivers are in a hurry to get to their destination and engage in reckless driving and road rage. When drivers behave negligently, they can cause serious accidents, including rear-end crashes, head-on collisions, sideswipe accidents, and broadside accidents. Numerous roadways in the Long Island region, including the Long Island Expressway, have a reputation for severe accidents—many of which are fatal. Since New York is a no-fault state for motor vehicle crashes, you must first look to your own insurance company for monetary compensation following an accident. However, accident victims who suffer permanent injuries in their crashes can look to the at-fault driver’s insurer to recover the damages they deserve.
- Pedestrian accidents – Pedestrian accidents can occur around crosswalks, near sidewalks, and in parking lots and parking garages. Pedestrian accidents typically occur when drivers fail to watch the road—and when they drink and drive. When a pedestrian falls onto another vehicle or directly onto the ground in an accident, they can suffer serious injuries, including head damage and broken bones.
- Dog bites – Dog bite incidents usually catch victims off guard. When a dog bites a person, the victim can suffer serious injuries, including bite marks, open lacerations, and deep wounds that may require stitches and other medical treatment. At other times, a large dog might knock an elderly individual or a child to the ground, causing them to suffer serious injuries, like broken bones. In New York, in most circumstances, dog owners are responsible for paying medical bills related to dog bites. A dog owner’s insurance company is responsible for paying these bills if there is a med pay provision, even if the dog never exhibited aggressive tendencies in the past and even if the dog never bit or attacked anyone previously. However, dog owners and their insurers are not responsible for other related expenses including pain and suffering unless the dog owner knew the dog had vicious propensities.
- Construction accidents – Builders and construction workers are around large, heavy, and dangerous equipment daily. Consequently, they are susceptible to accidents and injuries. Some workers suffer crush injuries while on the job. Others suffer broken bones and traumatic head injuries. When a construction worker or builder suffers an injury during their employment, they can pursue a workers’ compensation claim for various benefits. Moreover, if a third party causes or contributes to a worker’s accident, the injured worker can also file a personal injury claim seeking damages.
- Large truck accidents – Like car drivers, truckers must operate their vehicles in a careful, prudent, and safe manner at all times. When they violate traffic regulations, engage in distracted driving, or drive while intoxicated, the chances are good that they will cause an accident. In addition to irresponsible truck drivers, negligent trucking companies may also contribute to truck accidents. This is especially true when these companies fail to properly supervise their employee drivers or fail to follow state and federal motor carrier regulations, especially concerning load limits and the process of securing cargo to trucks.
- Bicycle and motorcycle crashes – Unlike motor vehicle occupants, bicycle and motorcycle riders have limited protection. They do not have the benefit of a thick metal shell surrounding them at the time of impact. Therefore, if they fall to the ground in an accident that results from another driver’s recklessness, they are more likely to suffer serious injuries.
- Medical malpractice – Medical providers owe their patients a very high duty of care. A doctor must follow the standard of care of a hypothetical ‘reasonable doctor’ acting under the same or similar circumstances. Specialists, on the other hand, must typically follow a national standard of care. When a medical provider behaves unreasonably, such as by botching a surgical procedure, operating on the wrong body part, or leaving an instrument inside a patient’s body after finishing a procedure, the injured patient can pursue a medical malpractice claim with the doctor’s insurance company.
- Wrongful death – Wrongful death claims arise when accident victims suffer fatal injuries. To pursue a wrongful death claim, the deceased individual’s surviving family members typically need to open an estate. Once that process is complete, the personal representative can pursue the wrongful death claim or lawsuit. A wrongful death claim proceeds in much the same way as any other personal injury claim. If the claim is successful, the estate can recover various damages, including compensation for funeral and burial expenses, compensation for the deceased individual’s future lost earnings, and other pecuniary losses.
Seeking Prompt Medical Care for Your Injuries
The first step you should take following an accident, even before you call a lawyer, is to seek prompt medical attention for your injuries. You should have a hospital or urgent care doctor examine you right away—even if you are unsure as to the seriousness of your injuries. The reason for this is twofold. First, untreated injuries can become much more severe the longer you delay medical treatment. Second, if you do not seek prompt medical treatment after your accident, or if there are significant gaps in your treatment, the insurance company handling your claim will become skeptical.
Specifically, the adjuster will likely assume that your injuries in the accident were not all that serious or that you did not prioritize your medical treatment. In either case, the insurance company is unlikely to offer you significant compensation for your injuries.
An accident victim’s injuries depend on the type of accident and how it occurred—including the force of impact. If an accident victim’s body strikes the ground, they are more likely to sustain severe injuries than if they had a protective barrier surrounding them at the time of impact.
While you focus your attention on obtaining medical treatment for your injuries, we can start working on the legal aspects of your claim. Specifically, we can obtain investigation reports, eyewitness statements, and other documents and begin preparing a settlement demand package to send to the insurance company on your behalf. Once your medical treatment is complete, we can begin the settlement negotiating process and, if necessary, file a lawsuit in court to protect the statute of limitations from running in your case.
How Do I Recover Damages in My Personal Injury Case?
The first step to pursuing monetary compensation is to file a personal injury claim. In some instances, you file this claim with the at-fault person’s insurance company, but at other times, you may need to turn to your own insurance company for compensation.
The problem for accident victims is that insurance companies will do everything they can to avoid paying damages. After all, insurance companies are large, multi-billion dollar businesses that make money by collecting premiums from their insureds—not by paying out personal injury claims and lawsuits.
If an insurance company sees that you’re unrepresented, they will likely take advantage of you and offer you as little compensation as possible to resolve your claim.
What Damages Can I Recover in My Personal Injury Case?
Personal injury accident victims can recover various damages in their cases. First, they can recover compensation for their medical bills and related expenses. They can recover this compensation even if their health insurance pays for some or all of their medical treatment. In addition, if they miss time from work, they can pursue a lost wage claim for damages.
In addition to these economic damages, accident victims can recover non-economic damages.
Those damages compensate individuals for their:
- Loss of use of a body part
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of spousal companionship and family support
The skilled team of Patchogue personal injury lawyers at Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP can help you pursue the maximum amount of recovery you need to make you whole again after your accident. If the insurance company refuses to compensate you adequately, we can litigate your case to a conclusion in the Long Island Court System.
Speak to an Experienced Patchogue Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If you suffered injuries in an accident that resulted from another person’s negligence, the insurance company will not do you any favors. They have strong and aggressive lawyers on their side advocating for them. You should have that too. Our skilled legal team will work tirelessly to recover the full amount of compensation you deserve for everything you endured after your accident.