The state of New York has taken several steps to limit the rate of distracted driving and texting while driving specifically. Yet according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), distracted driving remains a great threat to drivers, passengers, and pedestrians in Hempstead and across the nation.
If you or a loved one has been in a collision where texting while driving or another form of distracted driving is a confirmed or suspected cause, you may have reason to bring a lawsuit. Call our team at Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (516) 451-7900 to speak at no cost about your case for compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a texting behind the wheel accidents lawyer serving Hempstead, call 516-451-7900
Texting Behind the Wheel Is Illegal
You may not know it by the number of people who text while driving, but texting behind the wheel of your vehicle is illegal under New York Vehicles & Traffic §1225-C.
The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles has attempted to crack down on cell phone-related driving behaviors in recent years by:
- Implementing minimum fines for cell phone use by drivers
- Raising maximum fines for cell phone use by drivers, especially those with previous cell phone-related driving infractions on their record
- Increasing the number of points that may be added to a driver’s license when caught using a cell phone while driving
- Suspension of licenses for drivers with certain license classes
There is no ambiguity: For drivers in Hempstead and the rest of the state, texting while driving is illegal. Beyond the illegality issue, texting while driving is one of the most dangerous behaviors that any driver can engage in.
Nassau County and the state of New York have taken additional, nonpunitive approaches in attempting to decrease instances of texting and driving. These approaches include the Nassau County’s Distracted Driver Education Program. In addition, Nassau County drivers may expunge cell phone-related points from their license with the help of technological monitoring devices, as reported by Government Technology, which may help them build safer driving practices.
Laws and prevention programs are helpful and necessary, but it is ultimately up to the drivers of Hempstead to realize the threat that texting while driving poses to themselves and others and refrain from the practices on their own volition.
The Dangers of Texting While Driving
Texting while driving is a type of distracted driving. Distracted driving is a dangerous driving behavior, which includes:
- Taking your eyes off of the road for any reason
- Taking one or more hands off of the wheel for any reason
- Diverting your mental focus from driving safely
Some forms of distracted driving are more dangerous than others, and texting while driving is among the most dangerous. Texting while driving requires that you:
- Take your eyes off of the road long enough for you to read a text message
- Think of a response
- Type that response
- Make any corrections required to send an error-free message
Even if you are dictating your text message, you must take your attention from the road to do so. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), distracted driving accounted for:
- 3,450 distracted driving-related fatalities in 2016
- 391,000 distracted driving-related injuries in 2015
These figures only account for confirmed cases of distracted driving—the true figures may be even higher than those listed above. If you or a loved one were involved in a collision where texting while driving was a cause or contributing factor, then you likely have grounds for a lawsuit.
Call our team at Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (516) 451-7900 for a free consultation.
Hempstead Texting Behind the Wheel Accidents Lawyer Near Me 516-451-7900
Turn to a Lawyer After a Distracted Driving Collision
If a distracted driver caused a crash in which you sustained an injury or your loved one died, then you may have more than enough reason to bring legal action. The goals of such a lawsuit may be:
- To recover financial losses you have sustained because of the distracted driving collision
- To obtain a measure of financial justice from the party responsible for your injuries or your loved one’s death
- To cover any future financial losses that could arise because of your or your loved one’s collision
Depending on the specifics of your crash, you may be dealing with:
- Recovery for injuries sustained in your collision
- Other complications, such as the loss of your car or work-related issues stemming from your injuries.
- The recent death of a loved one.
In any case, a texting behind the wheel lawyer serving Hempstead may be a great help in shouldering the load of your lawsuit.
How a Lawyer May Serve You
A texting behind the wheel lawyer serving Hempstead will handle your distracted driving negligence lawsuit from start to finish. This service will include them handling several specific duties, possibly including:
- The collection of evidence and completion of any follow-up investigation that could strengthen your case
- The drafting and filing of all documents necessary to initiate and complete your lawsuit
- Correspondence with attorneys for the defendant(s) in your case, which may include the negotiation of a settlement
- The collection of testimony from eyewitnesses to your collision and any experts whose accounts could benefit your case for compensation
- The defense of your rights throughout the legal process
You may be eligible for compensation covering:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost income related to the collision
- Additional expenses related to the collision
Call Our Team at Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. Today
Being the victim of distracted driving can turn your life upside down, and a texting behind the wheel accident lawyer serving Hempstead is here to help if you decide to bring legal action against the party or parties responsible for your collision. Call our team at Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (516) 451-7900 for a free consultation. We can also assist clients who speak Spanish.