If you or a loved one was involved in a pedestrian collision, you should know that you may be entitled to financial compensation for your damages. You could receive compensation for medical bills, funeral and burial expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and more.
A Riverhead pedestrian accident lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can help you fight for your rights after a pedestrian collision. Call our office at (631) 451-7900 and begin with a free, confidential consultation today.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accidents lawyer serving Riverhead, call 631-203-1691
Car Accidents Involving Pedestrians
Many New Yorkers spend a great deal of time navigating city streets on foot. Unfortunately, drivers are not always as careful as they should be around pedestrians. Pedestrian accidents resulting in severe injuries and deaths are not uncommon, and they are often caused by driver carelessness or inattention. Common factors in these cases include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Poor weather conditions and low visibility
- Texting and driving
- Being distracted by other vehicle occupants
- Driver inexperience
Negligent drivers are often at fault for pedestrian collisions in New York. However, this may not be the only liable party. Vehicle malfunctions from manufacturing or design defects can cause or worsen a pedestrian collision. The company that manufactures or designs a defective vehicle may be liable if that defect causes someone’s injury or death.
It is also possible that the party responsible for road maintenance or city planning may be liable for the collision. A government entity such as the city, county, or state may be liable if the entity’s negligence or a government worker caused the collision.
If a government entity is liable for your collision, your case will be subject to special rules. According to NY GMU § 50-E, you must file a written notice of intention to file a claim with the attorney general within 90 days if you plan to bring a claim against the state.
Riverhead Pedestrian Accidents Lawyer Near Me 631-203-1691
Understanding the “Serious Injury” Criteria in New York
New York law is unique in that only certain injuries qualify a person to recover damages through a personal injury lawsuit. According to New York law, you may have a right to damages through a personal injury claim if you suffered:
- A bone fracture
- Significant deformity or disfigurement
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent inability to use a body organ, member, function, or system
- Significant limitation of use of body part or body function
- Non-permanent impairment that prevents you from carrying out daily activities for at least 90 days
Our team can help you understand if your injury qualifies as a “serious injury” under New York law. We may use your medical records, photographs and videos of your injuries, testimony from medical experts, and other evidence to demonstrate the severity of your injuries after a pedestrian collision.
Financial Compensation for a Pedestrian Injury
Being struck by a vehicle can lead to painful, debilitating injuries and considerable financial damage. If you were hit by a car in New York City, you may be entitled to financial compensation for the losses or damages you suffered.
However, to recover damages, you will need to prove that another party’s negligence or illegal actions led to your injuries. A Riverhead pedestrian accident lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can help you build a strong claim and fight for the compensation you deserve.
You may qualify to seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses, including past medical bills and future medical care
- Lost wages from your time off of work and future lost wages
- Harm to your income-earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional suffering
Call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. at (631) 451-7900 to receive your free case evaluation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Damages in a Wrongful Death Claim in New York
Losing a loved one in a fatal pedestrian collision is a heartbreaking experience to go through. If your spouse, parent, child, sibling, or other close relative passed away due to injuries from a pedestrian collision, you may be able to hold the at-fault party responsible and recover damages.
At Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P., we know that no amount of money can make up for the death of someone you loved. However, compensation from a wrongful death claim may help lessen the financial damage caused by the unexpected loss.
The amount of damages you may be entitled to after losing a loved one in a New York pedestrian accident varies depending on many different factors, including:
- Your relationship to the deceased person
- Your financial dependence on the deceased person
- Whether the deceased person’s actions contributed to the pedestrian collision
- The circumstances of the collision
- The deceased person’s estimated lost future income
Through a wrongful death action, you may recover compensation for:
- Direct damages, such as medical debts, funeral and burial costs, and related expenses
- Physical pain and psychological suffering, including fear of impending death, suffered by the deceased person before their death
- Loss of the deceased person’s future wages and benefits
- Loss of the deceased person’s guidance and companionship
Get Help from a Riverhead Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you were injured or a loved one was killed in a pedestrian collision in New York, our team can help you at all stages of your case. We are ready to assist you by:
- Helping you understand your rights and legal options after a pedestrian collision
- Identifying the liable party or parties
- Determining a value for your case
- Negotiating a settlement with the insurance company
- Working with medical experts, crash reconstruction experts, and other professionals
- Gathering eyewitness statements and other evidence to support your case
- Ensuring that your rights are not violated
Call for a Free Case Evaluation Today
If you were hurt or you lost a loved one in a pedestrian collision, a Riverhead pedestrian accident lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can offer legal help. Call our office at (631) 451-7900 today and get your free case assessment.