Car collisions are frustrating, to say the least, but when injuries occur, they can have a life-altering impact. Medical bills pile up quickly, and income from work lessens because of the limitations of the injury. It is easy to see how someone can quickly become overwhelmed by the ramifications of a collision in Ronkonkoma, NY.
When you have suffered injuries due to the negligence of another driver, you have options and you are not alone. A dedicated car accident lawyer in Ronkonkoma, NY is available to assist you at Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. We offer a free consultation when you call (631) 451-7900.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Ronkonkoma, call 516-451-7900
Common Causes of a Car Collision
While car collisions can be caused by a wide variety of factors, many of the collisions in Ronkonkoma, NY, that we see are caused by:
- Drunk driving
- Driving while intoxicated by drugs
- Distracted driving
- Texting and driving
- Reckless driving
- Driving while fatigued
- Adverse weather conditions
- Poor roadway condition
- Defective parts
- Failing to take precaution in a school zone or crosswalk
- Poor decision-making
New York’s roadways are often busy, and many can be dangerous places to travel. In 2014, motor vehicle traffic injuries were the fourth leading cause of death in Suffolk County. If you have been injured in a collision, seek immediate medical attention as some injuries do not present symptoms right away.
When you are able, call a car accident lawyer in Ronkonkoma, NY from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. by dialing (631) 451-7900. We offer a free consultation to review your claim and provide answers to all your important questions.
Ronkonkoma Car Accidents Lawyer Near Me 516-451-7900
Common Injuries Reported in a Collision
Injuries, from simple to severe, can have a negative impact on someone’s life. Some of the most common injuries reported are:
- Traumatic Brain Injury: The impact of a collision can cause serious injury to the brain and have long-lasting symptoms from headaches to, in the most severe cases, possibly having to relearn basic skills, such as eating and speaking.
- Broken Bones: Broken bones are very painful and temporarily disable the affected body part causing diminished productivity in the victim.
- Herniated Discs: Symptoms from a herniated disc can make simple movements extremely painful and daunting tasks.
- Spinal Cord Injury: Back injuries, including damage to the spinal cord and surrounding nerves, take a long time to heal and may cause temporary or permanent disability.
- Whiplash: This rapid movement of the head causes damage to the muscles and connective tissue in the neck. In severe cases, whiplash is very painful and requires immobilization to heal.
- Cuts and Bruises: These injuries may not seem serious but could potentially lead to infection and may be a sign of internal bleeding. When cuts happen on the face and neck, victims can be affected mentally by the scars they can leave.
- Internal Bleeding: Trauma to the internal organs could cause internal bleeding. This trauma requires immediate medical attention and could lead to death.
- Sprains and Strains: Joints and muscles can easily be injured during a collision. These injuries are not only painful but take a very long time to heal completely and could require physical therapy.
No matter how you were injured during the crash, even if it does not seem serious at the time, always seek medical attention right away. Some injuries do not present symptoms immediately but can be life-threatening.
Recoverable Damages After Being Injured in a Collision
Our car collision lawyers have recovered millions for our clients to compensate them for their injuries and losses as a result of a collision. Common damages are:
- Medical Expenses: These include ambulance rides, doctor’s appointments, surgeries, medication, medical treatments, scans, and physical therapy
- Lost Wages: Income you have lost because of missed days at work or diminished work capacity because of injuries
- Lost Opportunity: Missed advancement opportunities and loss of benefits if unable to return to work
- Pain and Suffering: Physical pain and emotional suffering due to the injuries and loss experienced in a crash
- Mental Anguish: Some victims will suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and can experience fear, distress, grief, depression and other sorts of mental trauma
- Lost Quality of Life: Losing a limb or being seriously scarred as the result of a collision can diminish one’s quality of life
- Out-of-Pocket Expenses: The money you paid out for needs associated with the collision not covered by insurance coverage
Economic damages, like medical and out-of-pocket expenses, can be calculated, and a grand sum of the expenses can be found. Non-economic damages do not have a set monetary value and are generally left for a jury to evaluate the extent of the loss and determine the award.
Keep in mind that even though the state requires no-fault insurance, that type of insurance policy only recovers basic losses like medical bills, a certain amount of lost wages, and mileage for doctor visits. It does not cover pain and suffering. If you wish, we can assist you in filing a no-fault claim, but it would serve you better to have us examine the circumstances of your car collision to obtain all the compensation you deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Laws That Could Impact Your Claim in Ronkonkoma, NY
With New York’s statute of limitations imposed by NY Code Sec. 214, you generally have three years to pursue compensation in a personal injury claim, such as a car collision. If you wait too long, you may forfeit your right to compensation.
In cases where the victim’s injuries were so severe that he does not survive, the family of the victim may be entitled to compensation to cover costs such as:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of support and protection
- Loss of wages and benefits
In a wrongful death case, the family has two years from the date of the victim’s death to pursue damages.
A Car Accident Lawyer in Ronkonkoma, NY, Can Help
If you have been injured in a car collision due to someone else’s negligence, a car collision lawyer can help you fight for your right to pursue damages. Some specific ways they can help are:
- Providing you with 24/7 support and guidance, so you fully understand your rights and your options for pursuing compensation
- Investigate your case and gather evidence, including eyewitness statements, police reports, and medical records
- Negotiate with insurance companies to the fullest extent of your injuries
- Pursue your claim at trial if an agreeable solution cannot be reached
But do not delay. The sooner we can get started on your case, the easier it is to gather evidence to support your claim. Do not worry about language barriers. Our team can work with clients who speak Spanish. Contact Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (631) 451-7900 for a free, no-obligation review of your claim.