A personal injury accident such as a slip and fall or car accident can happen when you least expect it. It can be impossible to prepare for a serious personal injury but you can take control once the worst has happened. Finding the best accident lawyer on Long Island can help you strengthen your case and make sure insurance companies do not take advantage of you. Knowing where to find the best attorney and what to look for can make the process easier on you and your family.
Reputable Long Island personal injury attorneys will make the difference in your experience. This may be a sensitive time for you. Our attorneys are sympathetic to your situation. We are here to walk you through the legal process in the most painless way possible. We will obtain the necessary evidence and information about your accident and create a legal plan.
For a free legal consultation, call 516-451-7900
What Makes a Great Lawyer in Long Island
There are many good lawyers in Long Island. However, there are few that have reached the “great” status. Here is what to look for in a great Long Island personal injury attorney lawyer:
A great attorney possesses excellent communication skills. Their judgment and analytical skills are above par. Responsiveness and open communication make clients feel safe and secure throughout the complex legal process.
In conjunction with communication skills, listening skills are imperative. Practicing patience with clients enduring stressful situations is an art form in and of itself. A great listener aids in creating the most concrete case.
A great attorney shows each client individual care and attention. Treating each client based on the level of their legal needs is what separates the good from the great.
Being organized is a key concept in obtaining successful case results. From your first consultation to your last day in court, a great attorney will keep all evidence, contact information, resources and legal information organized to properly manage your case.
A crucial skill for personal injury attorneys is the ability to quickly and efficiently research the law and legal references. Creating and executing legal strategies based solely on this procedure is of utmost importance.
A determined and stay-the-course attitude is another quality of a great attorney. The legal process can become complicated very quickly. Therefore, it is important to find an attorney who spearheads any and all obstacles that may arise along the way.
A resourceful attorney is a successful attorney. Some incidents in personal injury cases may not be black and white. Finding an attorney who can navigate through the gray areas with their resourcefulness abilities will lead to better results.
An assertive attorney will not succumb to the pressures of opposing counsel. They will assertively fight for your right to the compensation you deserve to properly heal. An assertive attorney understands the need to defend you to protect your future and stabilize your present as you go through the stages of legal recourse.
Legal incidences can be detrimental to not only one’s health but their emotional state. A great attorney practices patience as they assist their clients through the legal process. The old saying of “patience is a virtue” rings true. Clients must feel at ease and protected through painful personal injury cases.
- We have eight lawyers, offering over 100 years of combined legal knowledge and hands-on experience in the field of personal injury.
- We have a long track record of success handling claims in Long Island and throughout New York.
- We have a wealth of resources to take on major corporations and insurance companies, as well as the financial capacity to front the costs of litigation.
- We love what we do, and dedicate personal attention and passion for justice to every case and client we represent.
- We operate on a contingency-fee basis, meaning clients only pay attorney’s fees if we win a financial award on their behalf.
Tips for Finding a Personal Injury Lawyer
Not all attorneys are equal in terms of experience or success rates. It is up to the accident victim to research his or her options and select the best one based on the circumstances. You may see many advertisements for personal injury lawyers on Long Island, but only research and diligence will identify the right one for you.
- Create a priority list. Your search for a personal injury lawyer starts with identifying your goals for the case. Create a list of things you will want from your attorney. Your list could include open communication, honest advice, reasonable fees, friendly representatives, and a track record of success.
- Find lawyers with practice area experience. You should look for personal injury attorneys who specialize in personal injury law. Experience in your practice area will give the attorney the knowledge to come up with the best legal strategy for your case. Your lawyer should have a history of positive outcomes with cases similar to yours.
- Look for trial experience. Although most personal injury lawsuits will settle without the victim having to go to court, hiring a lawyer with trial experience can prepare you in case a trial is necessary. A track record of successful jury verdicts and judgment awards can give you the power to take a defendant to court in pursuit of full compensation.
- Ask for referrals. Once you know what you are looking for in an attorney, begin your search. Ask friends and family members for any attorneys they may have used in the past. Even if their lawyers are not in personal injury law, they may have referrals for attorneys better suited to your needs.
- Go online. Today, plenty of online resources are available to help personal injury victims find attorneys. Conduct a search for Long Island personal injury lawyers near you. Read attorney bios, website content, case results, and other information to help you get a feel for the firm. Select two or three that sound like the right match for you.
- Search the county bar association. The county bar associations in Suffolk and Nassau Counties have searchable databases of personal injury lawyers in your area. Use these resources to look up and research potential attorneys for your case. County bar associations are legal referral agencies with approval from the state bar association.
- Schedule free consultations with attorneys. Once you have selected a few attorneys who seem like a good fit for your case, call to schedule meetings with them. Most injury firms offer free, no-obligation consultations so clients can get to know the lawyers. Sit down with each firm, ask questions, and see which gives you the best impression.
- Choose the one you feel best about. Doing the proper research can give you an idea of which attorney is best-suited to take on your case. Once you have met with each option in person or over the phone, you should be able to pick the one that feels right to you. Be 100% sure of your choice before signing any contracts.
- Create a retainer. Once you have chosen your ideal attorney, your job is not yet over. You must then create an agreement with the lawyer that will explain the parameters of the attorney-client relationship in detail. The agreement will include the attorney’s fees, which are often a percentage of any secured settlement or verdict.
- Work closely with your attorney. No matter which attorney you choose, he or she should keep you updated about the facts of your case as it moves through the legal process. Stay in communication with your lawyer for the duration of your claim, asking questions and making sure he or she is acting in your best interests.
Do your research to make sure you find the best possible personal injury lawyer to represent your case. Review lawyers’ websites, ask around for referrals, and use certified agencies to narrow down your search. You should feel confident in the skill of your attorney and in the law firm as a whole. Confidence in your attorney can give you peace of mind for the duration of your personal injury claim.
Suffolk County Bar Association
The Suffolk County Bar Association (SCBA) is a voluntary, private organization that represents lawyers in Suffolk County, New York. It has been around for more than 100 years, and is one of the state’s largest bar associations. The SCBA’s mission is to aid in the administration of justice, encourage law reforms, elevate ethical standards in the industry, and ensure courtesy and honor in the legal profession. The association helps the Suffolk County community by offering pro bono (free) legal representation, charitable work, scholarships, and legal education.
If you need to find a personal injury attorney in Suffolk County, the SCBA’s website is a great place to start. Its lawyer referral service will ask for your zip code or city, practice area, goals for the legal service, any deadlines you may have coming up, and a brief description of your legal issue. Then, it will request your contact information and provide a View Lawyers button. This will bring you to a list of lawyers the SCBA believes are best-suited to take your case. You can choose to contact these lawyers or to have them contact you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Nassau County Bar Association
The Nassau County Bar Association (NCBA) was founded in 1899. It is a professional membership program for lawyers, judges, law students, and educators in Nassau County, New York. It provides a wealth of legal information and services for both attorneys and the local community. The NCBA is part of more than 50 legal committees, serving to tackle the challenges and needs of the legal industry in the area. It offers valuable information on clients rights, alternative dispute resolution, and more.
Like the SCBA, the Nassau County Bar Association offers attorney referrals, through its Lawyer Referral Information Service. Using this online tool can help you find a list of attorneys in the area who may be right for you. All private practice attorneys in the database are in good standing and have experience with the area of law the client requests. Instead of conducting a search online, however, you must either call (516) 747-4832 or email [email protected] for help. All information will be completely confidential.
Statistics on New York Lawyers
New York has the greatest number of active lawyers in the U.S., with 42.1 per 1,000 population. In 2007, the State of New York had 147,096 licensed attorneys. By 2017, this number had risen to 177,035 – a 20.4% increase. Every state in the U.S. has experienced an increase in active attorneys over the last decade, except for Mississippi and Rhode Island.
Nationwide, male attorneys almost double in number compared to female attorneys. In 2018, 36% of active lawyers were female, while 64% were male. In addition, 85% of lawyers in the U.S. are Caucasian, while 5% are African-American, 5% are Hispanic, and 3% are Asian. New York’s South District filed 11,579 civil cases in the year from June 2017 to June 2018. Sixty-nine (69) of these cases were tort actions.
Crash Statistics by County (Suffolk and Nassau)
In 2017, Nassau County, NY reported 66 fatal crashes. This was a 10% decrease from 73 fatal accidents in 2016. Suffolk County saw a larger decrease of 28% from its fatal accident rate in 2016. Throughout the island, traffic fatalities dropped by 22%, from 218 deaths to 171. Nassau County police issued about 15% more traffic tickets in 2017 than in 2016, while Suffolk issued 8.7% more. Greater efforts by law enforcement to keep the streets safe from dangerous drivers may have contributed to the decrease in deadly collisions.
Contact Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP Today for a Free Consultation
Selecting your lawyer in Long Island will take time, research, and energy. Make sure you start your search well before your claim’s statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is a deadline the state sets on your claim. In New York, you have three years from the date of your accident to bring a lawsuit. Missing this deadline generally means giving up your right to file. Begin your hunt for the perfect lawyer as soon as possible after an accident to avoid missing the cutoff.
If you or a loved one has suffered serious personal injuries in a car accident in Suffolk or Nassau County, Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP can help. We have decades of personal injury experience in the area, proven positive case outcomes, and numerous client testimonials supporting us as a reputable firm in Long Island. Our lawyers always go the extra mile for their clients and work hard to secure maximum compensation. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. Why Hire Rosenberg & Gluck, LLP for Your Injury Claim?