If you are looking to get a police report for a car accident that happened on Long Island, you will need to follow some specific instructions.
In both Suffolk and Nassau Counties, there are different ways that you can go about getting this important document.
The easiest way to get a car accident report on Long Island is online via BuyCrash.com. Both Nassau and Suffolk County Police Departments use this system.
You may also get a car accident police report via the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Whichever method you choose, remember to always keep a copy of proof of payment, which can be submitted to your insurance carrier for possible reimbursement.
If you were involved in a car accident on Long Island and suffered serious injuries as a result of someone else’s negligence, the experienced Long Island car accident lawyers at Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P., are here to fight for you and help you get the compensation you deserve. Call today for a free case evaluation.
For a free legal consultation, call 631-239-3965
Police Reports for a Car Accident in Suffolk County
If your car accident occurred in Suffolk County, you can request a police report online or in person.
Request a Police Report Online
The Suffolk County Police Department provides instructions on how to request an online motor vehicle crash report via the LexisNexis Risk Solutions BuyCrash site. Here is what you need in order to request your Suffolk County police report online:
- Visit: buycrash.lexisnexisrisk.com (also known as buycrash.com and policereports.lexisnexis.com)
- On the BuyCrash site, you can search for your police report by State and Jurisdiction and either the report number, the last name and date of the accident, or the last name and street.
- Reports cost $20.
The police report is available online 7 to 10 business days after the incident and you will be charged a convenience fee along with the cost of the report.
Request a Suffolk County Police Report In Person
You may also request your accident report in person at:
Suffolk County Central Records Section
30 Yaphank Avenue
Yaphank NY 11980
You will avoid a convenience fee but will still need to pay the police report fee, which is $0.25 per page, and must visit during the hours of operation: Monday through Friday 9:00am–3:45pm. Note that the office is closed on weekends and holidays.
Police Reports for a Car Accident in Nassau County
If you were involved in a car accident in Nassau County, you may request your police report online.
Request a Police Report Online
The Nassau County Police Department provides instructions on how to request your vehicle crash report online. They also use the LexisNexis Risk Solutions BuyCrash site. Here is how you can request your Nassau County police report online:
- Visit the BuyCrash website: buycrash.lexisnexisrisk.com (also known as buycrash.com and policereports.lexisnexis.com)
- Once on the BuyCrash site, search for your police report by State and Jurisdiction and either the report number, the last name and date of the incident, or the last name and street.
- Reports cost $20.
It will be available online 7 to 10 business days after the car accident and you will be charged a convenience fee along with the cost of the report.
How to Order and Access Accident Reports from the NYS DMV
If you were involved in a car accident anywhere in New York State including Suffolk or Nassau County, you may also request your police report from the DMV. Certified accident reports can be ordered online.
NYS DMV Accident Reports Fees
To access the reports, you need to pay a search fee of $7 (it will be $10 if you make your request by mail). Then you will pay an additional $15 for each report that you order.
The DMV keeps both motorist and police accident reports for four years from the date of the crash.
How to Access DMV Records
To access your records:
- Visit the DMV website: dmv.ny.gov
- Do a free search to find out if your records are in the system by completing a “List Reports on File by Date” search. Enter the county where the accident happened and the date.
- Next, select “Search by Plate Number, License Number, or DMV Accident Case Number” and pay the $7 search fee.
- Order your reports using the license plate number of a vehicle involved or the driver’s license number of a person who was involved or the 8-digit DMV case number that starts with 3 and pay $15 per report.
- Once this is complete, you have 7 days to access the reports and download them in PDF format.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Purpose of a Getting Car Accident Report
A police report is an important document which can help you with your car accident insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
The report will contain information about the circumstances of the accident, as well as the names and contact information of any witnesses.
It will also have the name, badge number, and contact information for the police officer who responded to the scene. In some cases, the report may also contain the officer’s opinion about who was at fault for the accident.
Contact an Attorney if You Were Hurt in a Car Accident
If you have been seriously injured in a car accident, it is important to speak with an experienced Long Island car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
The experienced Long Island personal injury attorneys at Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P., have experience handling all types of car crash cases, and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve in your personal injury claim.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.