A personal injury lawyer can protect your rights and help you navigate the complex claims process to pursue the compensation you need to cover your injury-related costs. We can take care of everything from filing the claim to proving that the other party is at-fault for your injuries. Without an injury lawyer, you would need to do all this on your own. Whether it is worth it to hire a personal injury lawyer will depend on how much time you can foreseeably devote to chasing down insurance companies to accept your claim.
We will explain what your best options are for recovering compensation. We can handle all of this while you focus on what is most important, recovering from your injuries.
Examples of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Here are just a few of the most common types of injuries we can help you with:
- Car collisions, including those involving trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians
- Boating injuries
- Construction site injuries
- Slips and falls
- Nursing home abuse
- Premises liability
- Medical malpractice
- Dog bites
- Wrongful death
Types of Damages You May Recover After an Injury
Every case is different, and a number of factors can impact the types of damages you may be entitled to recover, including the seriousness of your injuries and whether or not you were partially responsible for your injuries. That said, some of the common types of damages victims recover include:
- Medical expenses, including ambulance rides, surgeries, and doctor’s examinations
- Ongoing treatments
- Adaptive equipment
- Wheelchairs, walkers, and other assistive devices
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity, if you are unable to return to work
- Pain and suffering
Be Aware of the Statute of Limitations
You need to be aware of the statute of limitations. In the state of New York, you generally have three years to file a personal injury lawsuit under NY § 214, or you lose your option to recover damages. In the event of wrongful death, you generally have two years from the date of the victim’s death under NY § 5-4.1.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries due to another party’s negligence, our team can take the necessary steps to prove that the other party was liable for your damages, including:
- Gathering police reports, medical records, and eyewitness statements
- Obtaining video surveillance from the incident
- Gathering bills, receipts, and estimates to help calculate your total losses
- Other documents related to your expenses and losses
The purpose of this investigation is to document as many of your damages as possible and prove that your injuries meet the serious injury threshold set by the state of New York. New York insurance law defines a serious injury as:
- Significant disfigurement
- A fracture
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent loss of a body organ, function, member, or system
- Permanent limitation of use of a body organ or member
- A significant limitation of a body function or system
- A medically determined injury or impairment of non-permanent nature that prevents the injured party from performing normal daily activities for at least 90 days
We Handle Injury Cases on a Contingency Basis
You never have to worry about upfront costs when you work with our team. We handle our cases on a contingency basis, which means you only pay us if we recover compensation for your injuries.
These cases can be complicated. Only you can decide is it if worth it to hire a personal injury lawyer for your specific situation. An injury lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. can help you navigate the legal process from start to finish. Contact us at (631) 451-7900 today for a free, no-risk evaluation of your case.