How Does Your Local Hospital Rate?
5 STARS or 1 STAR?
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recently ranked Long Island hospitals using a Five Star Quality System. 5 stars are considered to have much above average quality and hospitals with 1 star are considered to have quality much below average. The CMS rankings are based on surveys conducted on patients that were treated on an in-patient care basis and completed the survey at the end of their hospital stay.
US News and World Report recently published their own rankings for New York’s Top 25 Hospitals based on patient safety, death rates, and the hospital’s reputation as the main factors. 8 out of the 25 hospitals identified have been recognized on Long Island.
Based on the patient surveys from January 1, 2014 to December 31st, 2014, here are the CMS star ratings for Long Island Hospitals, together with the US News and World Reports New York State rankings indicated in parentheses on the left side of the name of the hospital. Unfortunately, under the CMS system there were no hospitals located on Long Island that ranked 5 stars. Find out what your hospital ranked:
4 Stars ****
- St. Francis Hospital in Roslyn (#4 in NY)
- John T. Mather Memorial Hospital in Port Jefferson
3 Stars ***
- Eastern Long Island Hospital in Greenport
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center in New Hyde Park (#16 in NY)
- Huntington Hospital in Huntington (#22 in NY)
- North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset (#10 in NY)
- Winthrop-University Hospital in Mineola (#9 in NY)
- Southampton Hospital in Southampton
- St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson
- Franklin Hospital in Valley Stream
- Stony Brook University Hospital in Stony Brook (#23 in NY)
2 Stars **
- Southside Hospital in Bay Shore (Tied for #16 in NY)
- St. Joseph Hospital in Bethpage
- Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in Patchogue
- Glen Cove Hospital in Glen Cove (Tied #16 in NY)
- Mercy Medical Center in Rockville Centre
- South Nassau Communities Hospital in Oceanside
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip
- Plainview Hospital in Plainview
- Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead
- St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center in Smithtown
1 Star *
Nassau Community Medical Center in East Meadow