Bicycle collisions can lead to serious injuries and even death. Related medical bills, among other expenses, can quickly overwhelm victims and their families.
If you were hurt or lost a family member in a bicycle accident caused by another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to financial compensation. A lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. serving Suffolk County can help you take legal action.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Suffolk County, call 516-451-7900
Recoverable Damages After a Bicycle Accident
In general, crashes that lead to more serious injuries result in larger settlements. If you were hurt in a bicycle collision, there are generally two types of losses you can recover: economic and non-economic.
These losses hold an objective value and can be proven via bills, receipts, and invoices. Some of these damages are:
- Medical expenses including emergency care, diagnostic imaging scans, surgeries, rehabilitative therapies, and more
- Future medical care if your doctors anticipate you will need ongoing medical care
- Medical equipment such as braces, crutches, walkers, wheelchairs, and motorized scooters
- Home modifications if you need ramps, widened doorways and halls, or other modifications to your home because of your injuries
- Lost wages for unpaid time out of work during your recovery
- Future lost wages if you cannot return to your previous occupation
These damages don’t have a fixed value, as they are based on your unique situation. Still, you may be able to recover losses for your:
- Mental anguish if you now suffer from mental health issues that stem from the accident
- Scarring and disfigurement if your injuries changed the way you look or move
- Pain and suffering for the pain you have had and will have to endure
- Lost quality of life if you cannot engage in activities you enjoyed prior to the accident
Wrongful Death Damages
If your family member died in a bicycle collision, you may be able to recover damages for:
- Medical expenses incurred before your loved one died
- Funeral expenses for the burial and/or memorial service
- Loss of support for the income and benefits your loved one would have provided
- Loss of companionship for the lost relationships between spouses, parents, and children
- Pain and suffering incurred by your loved one before he or she died
Note that these damages are not all the forms of compensation you can recover, as there might be others that are available to you. In any event, one of our lawyers can review the facts of the accident to place a true value on your case.
Suffolk County Bicycle Accidents Lawyer Near Me 516-451-7900
A Lawyer on Our Team Can Help You with Your Injury Case
Bicycle collision cases can be challenging. If you are unfamiliar with the ins and outs of the legal and insurance process, seeking a settlement on your own can be a daunting task.
Your bicycle accident lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. serving Suffolk County can walk you through the process, taking over the burdensome details so that you can focus on healing.
Here are some ways they can help:
Investigate the Bicycle Accident
Your lawyer will investigate the incident to determine who and what caused it. Forms of evidence they can collect to back up your claim might be:
- The police report
- Pictures of the scene
- Traffic and surveillance camera footage
- Witness statements
- Cellphone records
- Toxicology reports
- Municipal maintenance records
With this evidence, we can apply the four elements of negligence to demonstrate the liable party’s carelessness. These include:
- Duty of standard of reasonable care
- Failure to meet this standard
- This breach led to the accident
- Financial and non-financial damages have come of this accident
We might find that the other driver, a government agency, and/or another third party could have caused the bicycle crash.
Negotiate a Settlement
Insurance companies often make lowball offers to settle cases quickly. Your lawyer will negotiate a settlement that provides you with fair compensation.
Take Your Case to Trial
If the insurance provider does not agree to a fair settlement, your lawyer will take your case to trial to recover damages.
Our Case Results
Our team has represented many victims of personal injury caused by bicycle collisions and more. We will fight for justice for you, just as we have fought for thousands of clients. If you cannot come to our office, we can visit you at home or in the hospital for a free case consultation.
Here are some of our case results:
- $2.39 million verdict for a worker injured in a rear-end motor vehicle crash
- $225,000 recovery for a bicyclist struck by a boat trailer that was towed by a pickup
- $500,000 recovery for a bicyclist struck by a motorcycle
- $25.4 million recovery for a teenaged driver severely injured in a car crash
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Legal Deadlines in a Bicycle Accident Case
Your lawyer will help you meet important legal deadlines. New York sets the following limits for filing a lawsuit against the party that caused your bicycle collision:
- CPLR § 214 sets the statute of limitations of personal injury at three years.
- EPTL § 5-4.1 sets the statute of limitations for wrongful death at two years.
Although there may be exceptions that extend this deadline, they aren’t common. More often, situations will apply which significantly shorten your time to act, such as when suing a municipality. In addition, iIf you don’t sue the liable party within the statute of limitations, you willmight forfeit your right to sue.
Whatever your situation, your lawyer can tell you how these deadlines affect your case.
A Lawyer from Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. is Ready to Represent You
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a bicycle accident, a lawyer with our firm serving Suffolk County can advocate for you while you recuperate.
Call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (631) 451-7900 for a free case consultation. We can assist clients in Spanish. Because we work on contingency, we collect no fees unless we win your case.