Accidents happen all the time, and they can happen to anyone. Personal injuries sustained in an accident can range from non-serious bruising and sprains to brain trauma, broken bones, total body incapacitation, and even death. If someone’s negligence, carelessness, or recklessness leads to an accident that harms an innocent victim, the injured person may have grounds for a personal injury claim.
Personal injuries may require many different treatments, including doctor consultations, diagnostic testing, surgical procedures, therapy, and medication. The costs of treatment can quickly spiral out of hand, and it may be difficult for you to cope physically and financially with the fallout. If you suffered injuries of any kind because of the actions of another party, a personal injury lawyer serving Islip may be able to help.
Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P.’s personal injury lawyers handle personal injury cases in Islip. Call (631) 451-7900 to speak with our team.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Islip, call 516-451-7900
Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. Has been Serving Injury Victims Since 1983
The case results we’ve achieved mirror the dedication and time we give our clients. Some of these outcomes include:
- $25.4 million for a 17-year-old who was hurt in a drunk driving crash
- Multi-million dollar award for our client who became paralyzed due to a surgical error
- $2.5 million for a 16-year-old who was injured in a multi-car collision
- $1.4 million for a woman who sustained multiple fractures in a bus accident
- Over $1 million for our client who suffered a head injury in a construction accident
We handle all levels of cases. Even if your case is not a six-figure or above case, do not hesitate to contact us. We want to hear from you. In addition to these successful case turnouts, we work to ensure that our clients are informed and well-taken care of throughout the legal process. Check out some of their testimonials:
- “The staff at Rosenberg & Gluck walked me through the process every step of the way. I always felt like I was their only client. My case was handled professionally, honestly, compassionately, and very skillfully. I recommend this firm for personal injury cases.” – Kathy
- “At a time when I was in terrible pain, suffering from severe depression, and coping with my inability to be active and self-sufficient, your firm was supportive and always professional. I am particularly thankful for those days that you called just to see how I was feeling.” – Maxine R.
Having our firm take on your case allows you to entirely focus on your recovery and spending time with your loved ones.
How We Were Able to Prove Negligence in These Personal Injury Cases
The central aspect of all personal injury cases is negligence. In order for you to collect compensation, we must prove that negligence is present in your case. It comprises four parts:
- Duty of care: The other party was to act with prudence and keep your safety a top priority.
- Breach of duty: They failed to keep this duty of care and acted negligently.
- Causation: This breach of duty led to a collision, a slip-and-fall, dog bite, or another preventable incident.
- Damages: You faced financial and non-financial repercussions as a result of this incident.
We can back up these claims with evidence. Your lawyer may use:
- Photographs of the scene of the incident
- Imaging scan results of your injuries and other medical records
- Security footage or traffic surveillance video
- The incident or police report
- Statements from experts and eyewitnesses
The smallest shred of evidence can make a big difference in your case, so whatever documentation you have, bring it to your lawyer.
Islip Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 516-451-7900
Forms of Compensation You Can Seek In Your Islip Personal Injury Case
If you or a loved one was hurt due to someone else’s negligence, you may be able to pursue these damages:
- Pain and suffering: For the discomfort and inconvenience your injuries cause
- Medical bills for past and ongoing care: For the pain medication, mobility aids, diagnostic assessments, emergency care, surgery, hospitalizations, and follow-up doctor’s visits you may need
- Scarring and disfigurement: For the changes the injuries made to your mobility or appearance
- Lost wages: For the tips, benefits, business opportunities, and other forms of income you couldn’t earn due to your injuries or treatment appointments
- Diminished earning potential: For the difference in wages if you’re unable to go back to your previous job or work in general
- Mental anguish: For the anxiety, phobias, post-traumatic stress (PTSD), and other mental health struggles the incident has caused you
- Disability: For the long-lasting impairments you suffer from
Wrongful death damages may be available to those who lost a loved one due to a personal injury incident. Recoverable losses could include memorial service and burial expenses, end-of-life medical care bills, or loss of financial assistance.
Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in New York
There isn’t much time to act after you or a loved one was hurt due to someone else’s negligence. Your timeline is based on the circumstances of your case.
- Personal injury and defective drugs: CPLR § 214 allows three years.
- Medical malpractice: CPLR § 214-A sets a two-and-a-half-year time limit.
- Wrongful death: EPT § 5-4.1 enforces a two-year deadline.
There could be exceptions to your applicable time frame, like if a municipality bears responsibility for the incident. In fact, you could have as little as 90 days to act. Still, we urge you to start working on your case right away. The state may prohibit you from seeking damages for the liable party if you try to file past the deadline.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
No Upfront Fees Are Required When You Have Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. on Your Side
Many personal injury law firms charge their clients retainers, hourly fees, and other out-of-pocket fees. Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. follows a different payment plan.
Our attorneys work on a contingency-fee-basis, so their payment will be deducted from the final settlement or court award they secure for you. If they cannot reach an agreement with the other party, there is still no charge.
This arrangement considers your bank account and limits the financial risk you take. That way, you can rest easy knowing there won’t be any surprise costs at any point in the legal process.
Types of Personal Injuries Our Law firm Handles in Islip
Personal injuries can take many forms and can occur in a wide range of settings. Injuries can have a devastating impact on a victim and his or her family.
Examples of how and where personal injuries can occur are as below.
According to Mayo Clinic, vehicular collisions are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), reports that 36,560 people were killed on U.S. roadways in 2018. The productivity losses, lost time from work, medical care costs, and insurance and litigation costs of these crashes are estimated to cost society billions of dollars every year.
However, for individuals and families, the costs and personal injuries of a vehicular collision go far beyond simple dollars and cents. A victim may take years to recover from serious injuries or the loss of a loved one. Permanent injuries and fatalities can forever alter the course of the lives of the families affected.
Slips and Falls
Slip and falls are a leading cause of injury to older populations, but they can occur to anyone. Cluttered work floors, poorly lit stairwells, uneven surfaces, and liquid spills can cause a slip and fall.
Nursing home residents and construction workers are often involved in slip-and-falls, but such incidents can even occur in traditional office settings and often lead to serious head and back injuries. They can also lead to death. There were 37,455 fall-related deaths in the U.S. in 2018.
Drowning and Suffocation
Drowning and suffocation are the leading causes of unintentional death in infants and children under the age of four. Unsafe pools, unsafe products, and poor supervision at daycares and recreational facilities are common causes of drowning and suffocation in people in younger age brackets.
Treatments at medical facilities expose individuals to many risks that can cause personal injuries. Birth-related emergencies can lead to brain or nerve damage in a newborn, and surgical errors damage nerves and organs. Testing and diagnostic errors, reporting errors, and administrative errors in a hospital setting can be detrimental to the health and well-being of a patient.
For a free case review of your personal injury case, call Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P. today at (631) 451-7900.
Common Types of Personal Injuries Our Clients Sustain
Accidents, falls, unintentional errors, and recklessness can lead to every conceivable form of personal injury. Here are a few examples of the personal injuries from such incidents:
- Head and brain injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Bruises, cuts, lacerations, and disfigurement
- Amputations and other permanent injuries
- Whiplash and other neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Nerve, muscle, and connective tissue damage
- Fractured or broken bones
- Mental or psychological trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Depending on the type of accident and the factors that caused or contributed to it, a personal injury lawyer serving Islip may be able to assist you. We can help collect the evidence needed to establish a personal injury claim against the at-fault parties responsible for your losses.
Personal Injury Liability Examples
The examples above are a brief sample of where and how accidents can occur. Liability for any given incident will be based on who caused it and how. Consider the following examples.
- An untrained doctor makes a delivery mistake, leading to brain damage in a newborn infant.
- A delivery van driver drives while drowsy or under the influence of drugs or alcohol and causes a collision.
- A business or property owner or operator does not remove hazards from their property and someone slips, trips, or falls as a result and sustains an injury.
- A nursing home fails to maintain a comfortable interior temperature or provide food or water to its residents, and a resident becomes ill or dies as a result.
- Poor road signage or damaged roads lead to a collision.
For each of these cases, a different party – or multiple parties – may bear some of the liability for the incident and injuries. Depending on the case at hand, a doctor, a nurse, a truck driver, a trucking company, a government office, a nursing home staff member or administrator, or a business owner may be responsible for your injuries.
Steps You Can take to Protect Your Islip Personal Injury Case
Take these precautions if you want to file a personal injury case:
See a Doctor and Follow Their Orders
Getting yourself checked out is the best thing you can do for yourself after you’re injured. The doctor can treat your known injuries and diagnose you with ones that haven’t shown symptoms yet.
Depending on the seriousness of your injuries, the doctor may construct a long-term treatment plan for you. Make sure you adhere to this entire schedule. The doctor will release you when they deem you to have reached maximum medical improvement (MMI).
Waiting too long to get treatment or cutting your treatment short could harm your health and the validity of your case. For instance, if the insurer finds out, then the adjuster may claim that something else caused your injuries or that you made them worse.
Beware of the Insurance Company If They Contact You
If the insurance company gets in touch with you, refer them to your personal injury attorney. We will protect you from the insurer acting in bad faith. As such, during the call, the adjuster may try to:
- Claim that you caused your injuries or made them worse
- Convince you that your injuries aren’t as bad as you say
- Have you accept a low settlement
- Record your statement regarding your account of the incident, which could hurt you during negotiations
Know that you don’t have to give information to the at-fault party’s liability adjuster. Once you retain us, we’ll take care of everything else from there.
How We Can Help with Your Islip Personal Injury Case
Rosenberg & Gluck, L.L.P.’s personal injury lawyers serving Islip can help you:
- Gather evidence in support of your case
- Negotiate with the at-fault parties and their insurance companies
- Help you quantify and evaluate your damages
- Help you understand your rights and obligations for your injury case
Call our team at (631) 451-7900 to learn more about how personal injury cases are handled and how we may be able to assist you with your injury claim. Our staff can even answer any of your questions in Spanish.